CUSCAL Buddy Experience! -Yusef Tarabiya

“Good times come to an end…” It all started in Term 1, we began drafting letters for this big experience given to us by Mr. H (Our School Principal). We then got a short notice that our letters would be handed in very shortly! The stress we all had gave us a nervous feeling but the whole point was to build and gain confidence! And there our letters took off! Oh, what a feeling!

Oh, did I forget to introduce my buddy? Oh, his name is Brad! The rad one in the buddy system… Just receiving his amazing letters and writing back to him made me love and feel joy which made me a heap more desprate to meet him! But sadly we had to wait another 3 terms filled with suspense! “The effort you give is the effort you recieve”

One afternoon Miss Jones walks in with a black envelope… “What is it?” I asked my friends puzzled with curiousity… Not shortly after a silence occured, our letters were handed out one by one each with curiousity. We traded our letters one by one reading and observing the effort that they really put in! “One of the best moments in my life.”

Faria’s Literacy Buddy Experience

5J had the opportunity to write letters to some big buddies from company called “Cuscal”. We were to write letters to each other. My buddies name was Natasha, she was a kind and a wonderful buddy. We wrote letters to each other 2 to 3 times a term and we improved our writting skills significantly. We didn’t type our letters because it helps us improve our handwriting and it makes us think more creatively. I was really lucky because my buddy let her childeren write letters to me and their letters were fantastic. Finally on Thursday the 27th of October, 5J went to meet our buddies face to face. When we got there, I got to talk to my buddy and we had a tour around the offices. My buddy Natasha gave me a present and I gave her mine, then we took a group photo. Unforntenly after the photo we had to go back to school.That was my amazing experience with the my buddy and I hope it wont be the end.

Prepositions and Phrases

flingtheteacher

WALT: use prepositional phrases to add more detail to sentences

TIB: Good writers use details and descriptive words to enhance their writing.

1. Play the game
  2. Write a simple sentence
  3. Bump up your writing by using prepositional phrases to say WHERE, HOW and WHEN

Little Buddies meet Big Buddies

Literacy Buddies

daystar

Recount

Term 1, Miss Jones walked out of the staff room with a black folder, we had no idea what it was. She opened the folder and there were letters for my class. I felt so excited to see what mine said. I read mine and my peers letters. My buddy’s name was Rebecca. We had such a good time writing letters, asking questions and sending drawings. Unfortunately, my buddy Rebecca had to leave to go to Italy, but luckily I received a new buddy and her name was Bianca. Bianca and I have been writing letters to each other throughout the term. Yesterday we went to the city to meet our buddies and have a mini party. They showed us around our workplace. Walking up and down those stairs was like climbing up Mount Everest, in fact it is as big as Mount Everest. Bianca and I were talking and giving each other our presents. She gave me binoculars, a pen that is a USB, Diary, The Jungle Book story, Rubik’s cube, post it notes and a cookie. I gave Bianca a Disneyland soap pack and she complimented me ‘It makes me feel like I’m in Disneyland’ she said. That made me feel good. My favourite part of yesterday was when I met my buddy and had a mini party. The way I felt yesterday was excited and sad. I was sad because I had to leave my buddy.

By Alexandra

Dear Diary,

Yesterday  on the 27/10/16  my class 5J  had a trip  to a company called Cuscal, a place that makes ATM’s.My buddy  Jennifer who pays the people who work in the company came along and we had free lunch while others in the the school had to work and pay for the bake sale. We  went into this room where they test the ATM’S  to see if they work properly. If they don’t work you  wouldn’t want your card to be  stuck in the bank. My favourite part of the trip was when we sang happy birthday to the boss ‘Shaun the sheep’ . It was so fun! When our tour was over we went back to the party room where everyone was there before us. So we had lunch and took a group photo with our buddy. We had to  go back to school but we had time for one more thing. Can you guess what it is??? OPENING PRESENTS!!!!.  

When we headed off to our bus they gave us  a show bag. Inside the show bag there were many good, useful things for example, binoculars, a notebook, post-it notes, a USB pen and I also got a book called ‘The Book Of Horses and Unicorns’ and a 3D bookmark.

By Yalda

cuscal-company-logo  literacy-buddies-logofarias-buddyThis Is Faria’s Buddy: Natasha

bianca-ally-busddyThis Is Alexandra’s Buddy: Bianca

zac-buddy  This Is Zac A’s Buddy: Andrew

maddys-buddy This Is Madison’s Buddy: Elizabeth

PBL Update 6

5J and 5T have been working extremely hard to finish their amazing magazines and YouTube channels, to prepare and present their final projects in week 3. We have been using amazing tools to create our project, we started off using popplet to jot down our ideas about our magazines, then we moved onto MadMagz to create it whilst the Drone group have been using iMovie and have been so close to uploading their video on YouTube. Today we will be planning our presentations where we use screenshots and include them in our planning slides. #WorkingHard #Magazines #MadMagz #iMovie #LastWeekUntilPresentaion

mads

PBL Update 5

During this session of PBL we have worked  to complete our magazines. In the coming week we will be presenting them. Most groups have completed and are ready to present. All groups have worked really hard in the past weeks and are excited to show others their final product.

#PBLGOALS

#PBLTIMLINEFINISHED!

#COLLABORATION

img_0172 img_0171 img_0170 img_0166 img_0164

Writing Prompts

WALT – think about word choices when we write.

TIB – Good Writers choose words carefully to engage the reader.

Look at this picture.

What is happening?

Imagine you were there. What would you be thinking? feeling? hearing? smelling? doing?

Write a short story using this image as the setting for your story.

Try to use interesting words, punctuation and sentences carefully.

theme-park

Y5 PBL Update 3

This week 5T and 5J worked on their PBL projects and they started off the session really well.

The group who are working on a YouTube channel have finished their first video and now need to start editing using iMovie and Panzoid.

All students have a group timeline to record what they are going to do each lesson. When they have completed something they get to tick it off.

We introduced a new timeline this week which is used for tracking where each group is in relation to how many articles they have finished.

20160824_102401 20160824_102419 20160824_102459 20160907_105547

Dream Machine Similes

Dreammachine

WALT: compare and describe using similes

TIB: Good writers use a range of language features to make their writing interesting and engage the reader.

WILF:

• access the Dream Machine LInk
  • Create a dream machine
  • Use at least 3 similes to describe it.
  • Record the similes you use in your books.

Ride Ricardo Ride

WALT: retell and summarise a familiar story

TIB: Good readers can retell stories in a few sentences.

Comprehension Skills

Predicting:

What will this book be about?

What evidence do you have to support your thoughts?

Ridericardoride

Pair discussion:

Where is the story set?

Who are the characters? How are they feeling?

What changes in the story?

What inspired the author to write this story?

WILF: Choose one!

POPPLET

STORYMAP

Y5 PBL Update 2

During PBL we have received a folder and a timeline that helps us allocate our jobs so we can easily get started.Our groups are starting to finish up their Magazine.In week 8 we are going to present our magazines.

MadMagz is an online website where you can create your own magazine.It has everything you need to create a Magazine.We also all have an account on MadMagz so that we can change and save our work as we go. https://madmagz.com/

Written by Shaekiba’s group

Transport PowerPoint

Hi 2K,

WALT

Today we will be researching a type of transport and making a PowerPoint to present the information.

WILF

• Slide 1: Title page with a heading and picture of your transport.
  • Slide 2: Classification.
  • Slide 3: Description.
  • Slide 4: Use.
  • Slide 5: Conclusion.

You might like to use different fonts, backgrounds and pictures to make your presentation look good!

Don’t forget to use your BUMP IT UP checklist!

Save your presentation in our classroom folder.

TIB

We want to inform others about what we’re learning.

Look forwarding to seeing them!

Miss Karamaneas 🙂

Stage 3 RFF – Book Week Task 1

WALT: To revise the structure and language features used in persuasive texts.

Book Week Text: And the Band played Waltzing Matilda

AndTheBandPlayedWaltzingMatilda.inddimagesZRKRETM1ff29e00de4125be5da70b093f29d6c4b

QUESTION: What is a discussion??

question mark

Discussion image

TASK: ‘Should the ANZAC veterans march or not?’

Write a letter to the Prime Minister persuading the reasons as to why the Australian soldiers should or should not march.

Complete the task in your workbooks before publishing (if time)

WILF:

• Written Discussion structure and language features
  • A persuasive and reasonable argument
  • Written work must be edited

Choosing a Good-Fit book

ipick

WALT: select quality texts

TIB: Selecting a good book to read is as difficult as deciding what to have for dinner each night. You need to take your time and choose the best fit book for your interest and reading level. Otherwise you may not enjoy it (just like your dinner).

When you read you want to be:

• interested in the topic and engaged in the themes that the author portrays through various characters and/or actions
  • understanding most of the words, themes and ideas that are introduced in the book.

How do you normally choose a book?

Sometimes it can be hard and we may have to take time to review and select an appropriate text. It is OK if you start reading and then decide that you don’t enjoy the text at the end.

This website may help to find the most recent accounts and books released. Book Reviews for kids

WILF:

• look at 3+ different texts
  • Say what you think about them to a partner
  • Give one reason why you would like to read a text
  • Give one reason why you would like not like to read a text

Stage 2 RFF Groups – And the Band Played Waltzing Matilda

WALT: Make connections to a text by using research skills.

TIB: Using research skills we can begin to understand part of our Australian history and this will help us understand the text more deeply.

AndTheBandPlayedWaltzingMatilda.inddimagesZRKRETM1

ff29e00de4125be5da70b093f29d6c4b

AS WE READ THINK:
What are some connections you are finding while we are reading this story? Remember ask yourselves:
Text-to-self – What does this text remind me of from my own life?
Text-to-text – What other text does this story remind me of?
Text-to-world – What events in the world does this text remind me of?

TASK 1:

In pairs research Slouch hats and the Australian Army on the

Australian War Memorial Website.

1. What is it made from?
  2. Why was this style selected?
  3. Describe the crown and the brim. Which side is or was it turned up and why?
  4. What else was attached to it? Describe the embellishments.
  5. Complete a timeline of five significate moments in the slouch hat’s history based on the information you find.

We will share your findings with the class at the end of the lesson.

Research task is to be handed up at the end of the lesson.

WILF:

• Working together in pairs

• Completed research task

• A prediction about the text

• At least one connection about the text

TASK 2:

Record at least 3 facts about WWI Uniforms from this website:

ww1

TASK 3:

Create an artwork using crayons/pastels that reflects your understanding of this book.

What new skills have you developed this week?

Skip to toolbar